I think most of you know by now that I’m a huge self care promoter. Quite often when I talk to people about their own self care, I realize that most people make self care way more complicated than it needs to be, or you just assume that you don’t have the time. I own a business, have a husband, two kids, other family members and friend who I like to see regularly. Yet I still always make the time for my self care. To me, self care is not optional, it’s a necessity for my happiness, and the happiness of those around me.
You see, self care is simply doing things for yourself that you enjoy. It’s about putting yourself first for a small window of time each day (hey, trade it up for the time you spend on social media every day), and filling your own life with happiness so that you have the energy, patience and happiness to take care of those around you.
Self care does not have to be a weekend away at the spa (although experiencing that is always nice). Self care can be quite simple, and can (and most definitely SHOULD) be done every single day.
To simplify your self care, I have written a list of 25 very simple, easy-to-implement self care ideas that you can do daily to get you off to a good start this year. In fact, I challenge you to choose one self care activity from this list each day for the next 25 days.
- Go for a walk in nature, or stand outside for 10 minutes alone and breath in some fresh air
- Massage your face
- Colour or draw a picture – this has very strong, meditative benefits
- Take a long, warm bath
- Nourish your body with a vitamin-packed smoothie
- Call (don’t text) a friend and family member who always makes you feel good
- Go to bed early
- Research something you’ve been wanting to learn about
- Do something kind for someone
- Declutter a room in your house
- Close your eyes and take ten slow, deep breaths
- Write your feelings down in a journal
- Lift some weights
- Treat your hair to a nourishing mask
- Take a nap
- Read an inspiring book
- Drink a glass of cucumber and lemon water to hydrate and detoxify your liver
- Say “no” and do not feel guilty about it
- Listen to your 5 of your favourite songs and sing your heart out
- Eat some fruit and veggies
- Watch a movie from your childhood
- Pray and/or Meditate
- Ask for help with something you’ve been procrastinating
- Listen to a motivational podcast or TED Talk
- Unplug from technology (or at least social media) for 3 straight hours, although a full day is a lot more ideal if you can do it
I hope that these self care ideas help you add more self care, self love and happiness into your life.