A new year often brings new resolutions for people. Personally, I’ve never been one for setting New Year resolutions, but while the conversations of goals and intentions for a new year are buzzing on social media right now, I’ve been reading a lot of comments about how so many people want to take better care of themselves this year.
Self care is so much more important than most people realize. I recently wrote a blog post about my own self care experience over the past couple of years and how it has truly changed my life. I wrote this blog post in hopes to inspire people to start taking better care of themselves.
I think most of you know by now that I’m a huge self care promoter. And quite often when I talk to people about their own self care, I learn more and more that people often see their self care as needing to be way more complicated than what it actually should be. Too often people tell me that they don’t have the time to take proper care of themselves – but I have two young kids, a husband, own a house and run a business that caters to all of North America, so if I can find the time to take optimal care of myself, I know that you can find the time, too! Self care is not selfish, it’s vital to your happiness and, in turn, the happiness of those around you.
You see, self care is simply doing things for yourself that you enjoy. It’s about putting yourself first for a small window of time each day (hey, trade it up for the time you spend on social media every day), and filling your own life with happiness so that you have the energy, patience and happiness to take care of those around you.
Self care does not have to be a weekend away at the spa (although experiencing that is always nice). Self care can be quite simple, and can (and most definitely SHOULD) be done every single day.
To simplify your self care, I have written a list of 25 very simple, easy-to-implement self care ideas that you can do daily to get you off to a good start this year.
In fact, I challenge you to choose one self care activity from this list each day for the next 25 days.
- Go for a walk in nature, or stand outside for 10 minutes alone and breath in some fresh air
- Scrub your body with this DIY Body Scrub
- Colour or draw a picture – this has very strong, meditative benefits
- Take a long, warm bath
- Nourish your body with a vitamin-packed smoothie
- Call (don’t text) a friend and family member who always makes you feel good
- Go to bed early
- Give yourself a Facial
- Do something kind for someone
- Declutter a room in your house
- Close your eyes and take ten slow, deep breaths
- Write your feelings down in a journal
- Lift some weights
- Treat your hair to a nourishing mask
- Exfoliate your skin
- Read an inspiring book
- Drink a glass of cucumber and lemon water
- Say “no” and do not feel guilty about it
- Listen to your 5 of your favourite songs and sing your heart out
- Eat some fruit and veggies
- Give yourself a DIY Pedicure
- Pray and/or Meditate
- Ask for help with something you’ve been procrastinating
- Listen to a motivational podcast or TED Talk
- Unplug from technology (or at least social media) for 3 straight hours, although a full day is a lot more ideal if you can do it
I hope that these self care ideas help you start 2018 off right so that you can add a whole lot of self care, self love and happiness into your life this year.